Budding young photographers are being given the chance to win prizes, have their work recognised and learn new skills in this year’s Youthspective Photography Competition.
People aged 12 to 18 can enter up to three of their photos that represent the theme – Fun.
Swan Hill Regional Library is hosting the competition, and Council’s Manager Cultural Development and Libraries Camille Cullinan encouraged all young people interested in photography to get involved.
“Young people have shown us in previous competitions that they have amazing skills and a unique perspective on our region. We’re looking forward to seeing what comes through this year,” Ms Cullinan said.
“Prizes include lessons with Melbourne-based photographers Craig Newell and Penny Koukoulas, so there are some wonderful opportunities to improve your skills,” she said.
“Experienced photographers will judge the main awards, with People’s Choice awards in each age group judged through likes on the Library’s Facebook page.
“And on top of that, winning entries will be displayed at Swan Hill Regional Art Gallery and the Library in April.”
Following Youthspective, Craig Newell will also host a free workshop on photo composition at the Gallery on 28 April for anyone aged 12 to 25.
Send your Youthspective competition entries to firstname.lastname@example.org and include image titles, name, age and contact number. Entries must be received by Friday, 2 March.
Prizes this year are: 15-18 years – return travel to Melbourne for a photography lesson with Craig Newell Photography; 15-18 years People’s Choice – return travel to Melbourne for a three-hour beginner’s course with Penny Koukoulas Photography; 12-14 years award and People’s Choice – Fujifilm INSTAX Mini 9 instant film camera pack.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
YOUTHSPECTIVE 2018 GUIDELINES
In 2018 we are excited to announce the eighth Youthspective Photography Competition and invite young people from across our region to enter three of their best photographs. The theme for the competition is: FUN! This means your photograph can be of anything you consider best depicts ”FUN!”. Photographs must be your original work, no Photoshop– so think outside the square, surprise us with your ingenuity, and have fun creating! There are two age group categories: 12-14 years and 15-18 years as well as a People’s Choice Award in both age groups. Please note your age as of the closing date for voting which is 4pm Friday, 16 March 2018.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Photographs must be submitted via email to email@example.com.
- Emails must include: photograph/s, the photographer’s name, age (see above), the title of the entry and a daytime phone number.
- You may enter up to 3 photographs.
- Colour or black and white images are acceptable.
- Your entry must be certified as being original and unaided work and any source imagery must be indicated at the time of entry. Please note that one signature from a teacher will be sufficient to cover all entries from a school.
- All entries must be submitted by 4pm Friday, 2 March 2018.
- Entries in the 15-18 years category will be judged by photographer Craig Newell.
- The 12-14 years category will be judged by photographer Jaime Murcia.
- The judge’s decision is final.
- People’s Choice voting, in both age categories, will take place on the Swan Hill Regional Library’s Facebook page. One ‘like’ will equal one vote. The picture with the most ‘likes’ wins. The closing date for voting will be 4pm Friday, 16 March 2018.
- Photographs of the winners together with their names and ages may be used in publicity where the parents or guardians of the winners have given their consent.
- The rules of the competition may not be changed or modified and will be strictly applied.
- All personal information supplied will be used solely for the administration and management of the Swan Hill Regional Library Youthspective Photography Competition.
- Winning images may be selected for use in print or on the internet for Swan Hill Rural City Council and local publications.
- The prize for the 15-18 years category is a three hour, one-on-one photography course with photographer Craig Newell and travel to the course for a family of four provided by V/Line.
- The People’s Choice prize for 15-18 years is a three hour photography course for beginners with Penny Koukoulas Photography and return travel to the course for a family of four provided by V/Line.
- The prize for the 12-14 years category and the 12-14 years People’s Choice award is a Fujifilm INSTAX Mini 9 instant film camera pack.
- Winners will be announced and presentations made at the Mallee Roots and Mallee Birds exhibition launch at 6pm on Friday, 23 March, held at the Swan Hill Regional Art Gallery.
- Winning entries will be displayed at Swan Hill Regional Art Gallery and Swan Hill Regional Library during the month of April.
Youthspective key dates
|Friday, 2 March||Youthspective Photography Competition entries close.|
|Friday, 16 March at 4pm||People’s Choice Facebook voting closes.|
|Friday, 23 March at 6pm||Winners will be announced at the Mallee Roots and Mallee Birds exhibition launch at the Swan Hill Regional Art Gallery.|
|Saturday, 28 April||FREE Creative Composition workshop for people aged 12 to 25 years at Swan Hill Regional Art Gallery, 10am-1pm.
To book or for details – 5036 2480.